CANARY WHARF CONTRACTORS ADOPTS BIW COLLABORATION TECHNOLOGYCanary Wharf Contractors Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Canary Wharf Group Plc, has agreed a three-year corporate deal to use web-based collaboration systems from BIW Technologies (BIW) to deliver all its projects through to 2009.
BIW Information Channel is already being deployed on recently started projects, including commercial office developments situated within the Canary Wharf area in London’s Docklands, and the nearby 1 Millharbour development to construct what will be the tallest residential towers in Europe.
The BIW application is also to be used by CWCL teams involved on all future construction projects. CWCL has also negotiated an option to extend the BIW deal by a further two years – covering all projects through to 2011.
“CWCL had been using a non-web-based system for some years, but we continually monitored developments in the UK market for web-based collaboration technologies,” says CWCL’s Deputy Group IT Manager Mark Nallen. “BIW has emerged as the clear market leader,” Nallen continues, “its systems are proven and reliable and have the strong business process support we need to drive our projects forward.”
Patrick Quinlan, CWCL Senior Project Manager adds: “We have been working with BIW to enhance the existing system to meet our current and future needs. A web-based system is the best way forward for information management on projects of Canary Wharf size.”
“From the outset, CWCL has insisted on using ‘best of breed’ technologies, and on having a robust and secure infrastructure to host its drawings and other documents and to support its key business processes,” says BIW chief executive Colin Smith. “Having developed an understanding of CWCL’s future needs, we found a close correlation with our ‘roadmap’ of future developments for BIW Information Channel.”
- ends -
More information from:
- Paul Wilkinson, BIW head of corporate communications – 01483 712620 or mobile 07788 445920, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canary Wharf Group press office, 020 7418 2322, email Julia.email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Canary Wharf Contractors Limited (www.cwcontractors.com) is the UK’s foremost exponent in the design and construction of tall buildings. As the construction arm of Canary Wharf Group plc, CWCL has built 24 office buildings in and around the Canary Wharf area of London Docklands, along with an extensive road and rail infrastructure, 200 retail units, and 20 acres of landscaped parks, gardens and other public areas. Outside the Canary Wharf development, in early 2005, CWC was appointed as contractor on the 1 Millharbour development, to construct what will be the tallest residential towers in Europe. The scheme includes 700 apartments, a third of which will be affordable homes, a 5-star hotel, health spa, retail facilities and bars and restaurants in two interlinked towers on a waterside site just 500 metres from Canada Square.
- Project collaboration services from BIW Technologies (www.biwtech.com) were first employed in 1999 on UK construction projects for Sainsbury’s. BIW believes it is the European leader in web-based collaboration systems for the construction and property industry, measured by numbers of users, usage and volume of data.
- BIW Information Channel is a sophisticated web-based supply chain integration technology, designed specifically for construction projects or programmes. Each client is provided with a unique, project or programme-specific website created around a knowledge database. With this, data can be made available securely to every team member – from the earliest concepts, through detailed design, buildability studies, pre-fabrication, construction, maintenance, operation and improvement to the eventual demolition or dismantling of the facility.
- As well as CWCL, BIW customers include United Utilities, Sainsbury’s, BAA, housebuilders Crest Nicholson and the Peabody Trust, Marks & Spencer, the Ministry of Defence, the Wellcome Trust, O2, Mace, Bovis Lend Lease, Kajima, Gleeds, Fitzpatrick and developers Land Securities, Ballymore, Dandara and Garbe.
- BIW and BIW Information Channel are registered trademarks or trademarks of BIW Technologies Ltd.
More information from:
BIW Technologies Ltd
T: 0845 1300 800