Organised by "Building" magazine, the Building Awards are the UK construction industry's premier awards, with the best in the business being rewarded for outstanding performances. The 2006 awards ceremony was held at the Grosvenor House Hotel, on London's Park Lane, on Tuesday 4 April.
BIW won the ‘Building Entrepreneur of the Year’ category, cited in front of a 1500-strong audience for widespread adoption of its technologies across UK construction businesses:
"BIW Technologies … has gone from strength to strength over the past five years. Not content with cornering a 25% share of the market for internet-based information exchange within the construction industry, BIW’s turnover rose 33% during the past year off the back of long-term relationships with the great and good of the client world: Sainsbury's, BAA and Land Securities among them. By the end of November last year, the heavy use of BIW’s products by industry leaders had removed an estimated 20 million paper documents from circulation – no mean feat for a company set up by three men less than six years ago."
"In addition to BIW's award, the 2006 Building Awards were also significant for several BIW customers, including Mace, Land Securities, Interserve and Defence Estates," said BIW chief executive Colin Smith. "We believe collaboration technologies are increasingly a key element in the delivery of today's construction projects, and we are delighted that our achievements since 2000 have been recognized by this major award."- ends -
Notes to editors:
- Project collaboration services from BIW Technologies (www.biwtech.com) were first employed in 1999 on UK construction projects for Sainsbury's. BIW believes it is the European leader in web-based collaboration systems for the construction and property industry, measured by numbers of users, usage and volume of data.
- BIW Information Channel is a sophisticated web-based supply chain integration technology, designed specifically for construction projects or programmes. Each client is provided with a unique, project or programme-specific website created around a knowledge database. With this, data can be made available securely to every team member – from the earliest concepts, through detailed design, buildability studies, pre-fabrication, construction, maintenance, operation and improvement to the eventual demolition or dismantling of the facility.
- BIW customers include United Utilities, Sainsbury’s, BAA, housebuilders Crest Nicholson and the Peabody Trust, Marks & Spencer, the Ministry of Defence, the Wellcome Trust, O2, Mace, Gleeds, Bovis Lend Lease, Kajima and developers Land Securities and Garbe.
- BIW and BIW Information Channel are registered trademarks or trademarks of BIW Technologies Ltd.
- The above photo shows BIW CEO Colin Smith (second left) flanked by the award sponsor (left) and Northern Ireland international footballer Pat Jennings, who presented the award. "Building" editor Denise Chevin is on the far right.